To pair with my mom's authentic Mexican tamales recipe, I have here her recipe for Mexican Atole. Atole is a hot cornflour drink that usually accompanies tamales. Some people may call this champurrado as opposed to atole but in my opinion champurrado is really just chocolate flavored atole.
- 3 cups of milk
- 2 cups of water
- 10 half cones of brown sugar a.k.a. piloncillo OR 2 full size cones
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 1/2 cup of corn flour (Maseca)
- 1 additional cup of water
- 1 Mexican hot chocolate tablet (ex. ABUELITA or IBARRA Mexican Hot Chocolate Drink Tablets)
3. Let the mixture come to a boil so it all thickens and then simmer for 15 minutes. All done, enjoy with your tamales!